Central New York Earth Science Student Symposium: Saturday April 1st, 2017
Featuring Keynote Speaker, Dr. Richard Ernst, Carleton University
Dr. Ernst is an expert in the study of Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs), both on Earth and other planets. His research focuses on the study of this type of volcanism to reconstruct supercontinents and examines the relationship of LIPs with dramatic climate changes and ore deposits. In addition, he conducts research on other planets to study analogues to the LIPs on Earth (http://earthsci.carleton.ca/ernst-lab). His research was recently featured in a ScienceNews article about the history of supercontinents.
Abstract Submission and Registration
- All Earth Science (and related subjects) undergraduate and graduate students from any college or university in the CNY area are invited to submit an abstract to present a poster at our symposium. All abstracts must have a student as the first author and must address original research conducted by the first-author student. Please email your abstract submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1st, 2017 and let us know your name, affiliation, level (graduate or undergraduate), and preferred presentation type. Make sure to bring $5 for registration that helps cover the day's expenses.
- Upon your submission, you give the Syracuse University Geology Club permission to reproduce your abstract for the purposes of dissemination among symposium attendees.
- Maximum poster dimensions should be no more than 36"x 58"
- Wish to attend, but don't want to present? That's fine! The Symposium is open to the public with a $5.00 admission charge, which covers breakfast reception, lunch, and all the other activities that occur throughout the day. Attendees must pre-register by sending an email to email@example.com.
Tentative Schedule of Events- April 1st, 2017
- 9:30-10:00 AM Registration (coffee and light breakfast)
- 10:00 - 11:30 AM Poster Session 1
- 11:30 - Noon Student Talks Session 1
- Noon - 1 PM Lunch
- 1:00 - 1:30 PM Student Talks Session 2
- 1:30 - 3:00 PM Poster Session 2
- 3:00 - 4:15 PM Keynote Presentation, by Dr. Richard Ernst
- 5:00 - 5:30 PM Lava Pour (Comstock Art Building)
- 5:30 - 8:30 PM Reception (InnComplete)
The Symposium is held in and around Heroy Geology Laboratory on Syracuse University's campus with the exception of the Lava Pour, which is held at the ComArt Building on Comstock Ave. near South Campus. For participants joining us from other colleges and universities, Parking is available at Heroy GL - no charge. Let us know if you will need to park on campus.
See the link below for directions. If you have questions about parking please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Geology Photo Contest
Have any pictures you wish to share from your adventures? Well, you are in luck!! Students are encouraged to submit their own geological themed photo, which will be displayed and voted on in a photo contest for a prize! Submissions due March 20th. Sumbit your photo to email@example.com. Note: (Only one submission is allowed per person)
Each year we welcome sponsors from local industry to attend our symposium and speak with undergraduate and graduate students about their research and career goals. Some sponsors choose to do this informally but table space is also available upon request for sponsor attendees. If you or your company would like to attend and be a sponsor for this year's CNYESS Symposium, please contact Chilisa Shorten at firstname.lastname@example.org. This year we will have a tiered sponsorship program. Silver ($100-199 donation), Gold ($200-299 donation) or Platinum ($300+ donation).
Industry Sponsors for the 2015 CNYESSS
We would like to thank our sponsors of this year's symposium!